Saturday, October 1, 2011

Day at the Market

Fall blew in to Toronto last night. I woke up to a chilly house and a less than 10 degree city. Ouch! Luckily one of my favourite days of the year, the Aberfoyle Antique Market's special Saturday market, was last week. It was a bright sunny day instead of the rain called for, and Emma and her parents made a great road trip of it. It's fun knowing other people who love the market. It's even more fun when they bring you along in their car (thanks guys!).


It's a bit of an epic journey to get to the market, but always worth it. This time I was conservative with my shopping, picking up a great vintage table cloth, some green glass buttons with gold mirroring, and a bit of fabric labled as a feedsack, but I'm not so sure. Does anyone know what to look for to tell? Not that it matters, I just liked the print. Right as we were heading back to the car I spotted a booth with jewellery that had a little gold tone locket pin. I have about 5 of these and wear them constantly. I opened it up and inside were this lovely couple.


Aren't they great? I know some people find pieces like this sad, since they've been abandoned, but I always have a special fondness for them. I like the idea that someone is still holding on to them, even if it's a stranger. Remembrance through objects... Or I just spent too long at art school. Either way.

I also got a couple of Vogue Knittings from the 60s, and with my magic powers of duplicate purchasing, came home with one I already had. Keep your eyes open for a giveaway with it in the next week or so. The little blue buttons were free with the pin and some pieces I picked up for my mom. Can't argue with that.

No comments: